Can Young People Change the World? A Story of Peace That Began in Cambodia
Hello!
I'm Pyeongon, a teacher who loves peace. 😊
I believe that the power to change the world doesn't always begin with something grand.
Some people start a simple conversation.
Others create opportunities to learn.
And some become bridges that connect people from different backgrounds.
Today, I'd like to share a heartwarming
story of peace about young people in Cambodia who are making a difference.
As both a teacher and a mother, I was deeply moved by the meaningful partnership that the Khmer Youth Association (KYA) and the International Peace Youth Group (IPYG) are building together, and I'd love to share their story with you. 🌏
👥 A
Space Where Cambodian Youth Can Grow: Khmer Youth Association (KYA)
The organization at the heart of today's story is the Khmer Youth Association (KYA).
Founded in 1992, KYA is a non-governmental,
non-political youth organization that has carried out a wide range of programs
to encourage young Cambodians to participate in society and contribute to its
development.
Its work spans a wide range of areas, including human rights, democracy, gender equality, public health, and education.
What impressed me most was that KYA
doesn't simply see young people as recipients of support, but helps them grow
into active participants who create positive change in society.
That idea really resonated with me.
Children grow the most when they are encouraged to think for themselves, participate, and experience making a difference.
I believe the same is true for young
people.
🔤 Breaking
Language Barriers to Share Peace: The YEPC Khmer Translation Project
The partnership between KYA and IPYG began in 2023.
After sharing their experiences in peace activities and working closely together, they are now carrying out a meaningful project together.
Their current focus is translating IPYG's
Youth Empowerment Peace Class (YEPC), a global peace education program, into
Khmer.
When I first learned about this project, one thought immediately came to mind.
Quality education should be accessible to everyone.
It was inspiring to see local young people
building bridges through language so that educational opportunities wouldn't be
limited by linguistic differences.
It reminded me of the heart of a parent who
wants to find the very best book for their child. In the same way, this project
reflects a desire to share the values of peace with as many young people as
possible.
🌱 From
Peace Education to a Sustainable Youth Network
The YEPC translation project goes far beyond simply translating educational content.
Building on their peace education initiatives, KYA and IPYG plan to continue their collaboration through:
* Youth leadership development programs
* Expanding community engagement
initiatives
* Building sustainable peace networks
These are just some of the ways they plan
to continue working together in the future.
Reading this reminded me once again of the incredible power of education.
When one person's mindset changes, they can
positively influence those around them. And when those changes come together,
they can gradually transform the atmosphere of an entire community.
I can even imagine classrooms where
students discuss peace, exchange ideas, and learn from one another using these
educational resources.
Through ongoing leadership programs and
peace campaigns, young people are growing together, celebrating their
accomplishments as they complete each stage, and encouraging one another along
the way.
A Positive Message from Cambodian Youth 💪🏻
One message shared by KYA President Prak
Monyrath especially stayed with me.
"Stay positive and stay focused on
your life's purpose. That is the path toward a better life and a better
world."
Even at the seminar where future projects
were introduced, I could clearly feel the same positive vision and passion.
In the midst of our busy lives, it's easy to let our hearts be shaken by the circumstances around us.
But this message reminded me that our attitude and the choices we make ultimately shape the direction of our lives.
It's also a message I would love to share with children.
Our circumstances do not define us. Our
mindset and actions do.
A Mother's and Teacher's Reflection on
Peace in Cambodia
Reading about these Cambodian young people reminded me of something once again.
Peace isn't something distant or
extraordinary. It can begin with the simple effort to understand one another's
language, the willingness to share knowledge, and small acts of working toward
a better society.
I believe one of the greatest lessons we can teach our children is to think through problems and seek solutions instead of turning away from them.
I hope the language of peace that these
Cambodian young people are building will continue to warmly touch the hearts of
many people. With that hope, I'll wrap up today's peace news review. 🌱
What thoughts came to your mind after reading about these inspiring young people in Cambodia?
What values or attitudes toward life would
you most like to pass on to your children? I'd love to hear your thoughts in
the comments. 😊
📰 Read
the original article
댓글
댓글 쓰기