HWPL’s Tuul River Cleanup in Mongolia: A Story Every Child Should Hear 🌱

 Hello, everyone!

I’m Teacher Pyeong-on, a mother who teaches children at school and raises my own at home, always reflecting on how to nurture their character.

If you're raising a child, you've probably found yourself wondering this at some point:

"How on earth do I raise a child with good character and values?"

No matter how many times we tell them to live kindly, show consideration for others, and protect the environment, it’s hard to make those lessons truly resonate with them.

After all, children learn much more from what adults do than what they say.

Recently, while reading about HWPL’s volunteer cleanup at Mongolia’s Tuul River held in observance of World Water Day, I felt that I had found at least part of the answer to the question I’d been asking myself about character education.

  


🌍 World Water Day and the Change That Began at Mongolia’s Tuul River

 

March 22 is World Water Day, an international observance designated by the United Nations.

All around the globe, various initiatives take place to remind us how precious water is and to raise awareness about protecting our water resources.

This year, the "Clean Mongolia" campaign was launched in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

In particular, the Tuul River basin—the primary water source for the residents of Ulaanbaatar—had been suffering from severe waste pollution for a very long time.

To address this issue, around 200 participants—including members of HWPL, civic groups, NGOs, and local residents—came together.

 


Starting at 9:00 a.m., participants divided into designated areas and spent about three hours collecting litter along the riverbanks.

And the result was nothing short of astonishing.

They managed to collect a staggering 30 tons of waste!

The number "30 tons" might be hard to picture at first.

When I imagined enough waste to fill several large collection trucks, I couldn't help but think about how much the natural environment must have suffered over the years.

 


Imagining the river coming back to life through the efforts of 200 caring volunteers left me feeling refreshed and encouraged.

 


🎒 The Words of One Student That Deeply Moved Me

 

To be honest, what stayed with me the longest after reading the article wasn’t the sheer volume of trash collected.

It was the reflection shared by a student who participated in the event.


"As I picked up trash, I saw with my own eyes how much waste had accumulated throughout the river basin.

We should never litter. Instead, we should dispose of waste properly, and when we're outdoors, we should always take our trash back with us."


Reading that really made me stop and think.

Because the very core of the values we want to instill in our children was packed into that short, simple statement.

Of course, explaining the importance of environmental protection in a classroom is necessary.

However, I believe few lessons are more powerful than seeing environmental damage firsthand, picking up litter with your own hands, and watching a river regain its cleanliness.

Empathy, responsibility, and a sense of community aren't just words in a textbook; they are built through action.



🌱 Beyond a One-Time Event: HWPL’s Commitment to Sustainable Peace

 

To be honest, we often come across news about environmental campaigns, but many of them end after a single day of activities.

What made this news especially encouraging was that HWPL Mongolia announced plans to continue expanding its efforts beyond cleanup activities to include tree-planting and community environmental improvement projects.

 


The message that small acts of environmental stewardship can transform communities and ultimately help build a peaceful society felt deeply encouraging and inspiring.

It reminded me once again that peace doesn't start with something grand; it can begin with the simple, everyday choice to pick up a piece of litter we might otherwise just walk past.

 

 


👩‍🏫 What I Learned About the True Power of Character Education as a Mother and Teacher

 

Through my years as a teacher, I've realized one thing.

Children watch adults much more closely than we think.

The way we properly sort our recycling, the way we pick up litter when we see it, the way we conserve water—

These small actions become the lessons children learn from.

 

That’s why I plan to share this story from Mongolia with my child today.

"You know, older boys and girls in Mongolia worked together to clean up a river. How about we find one small way we can help our environment at home too?"

This single question might resonate far more deeply than a long, drawn-out lecture. 😊

 

 


💬 Why Not Share This Story with Your Child at Dinner Tonight?

 

Protecting the planet doesn't have to be a monumental task.

Sorting recyclables properly, using a reusable tumbler, and turning off lights when they're not needed—

It's the accumulation of these tiny habits that changes the world.

Why not share this story with your child over dinner tonight?

 

We'd love to hear about one eco-friendly habit your child practices that you're proud of. Share it in the comments below! 😊

I’d love for us to learn together by swapping great ideas. 🌱

As always, I'm cheering for a warm and hopeful future for our children.


📰 Read the full article

🌐 Visit the HWPL Official Website

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

HWPL, the people making peace a reality — The story of “We Are One” unfolding across Europe, Georgia, and Korea

HWPL Peace Education Program: “Peace Begins in the Classroom” Expands in Eastern Europe, Moves into Moldova

[HWPL] Steps for Peace with Refugees in Georgia on World Refugee Day